CBRW 2294 is an interesting locomotive that is now pushing 60 years old.  Yes, 60 years.  It was originally built as ATSF GP9 #719 in May of 1956 (so pretty much 60 years to the day).  As originally built it housed an EMD 567C 16 cylinder prime mover, which output 1750 horsepower.  Four traction motors provided the pulling power at a max speed of 65 mph.

It served faithfully on ATSF lines for a few decades, until it was drafted as part of ATSF's rebuild program in 1979.  It was sent to the Cleburne shops, where it underwent some significant retrofits.  The original high nose was chopped and shortened to provide more visibility.  The original cab with curved roof from EMD was rebuilt into the famous "Topeka Cab", in reference to ATSF's Topeka Shops.  In reality, the cab was probably designed and fabricated at the Cleburne shops.  The odd cab design cut costs and also provided improved comfort to the crew through sound and vibration dampening.  It also provided a flat surface to mount an A/C unit.  Finally, the dynamic brakes were also removed and the fan holes plated over, though the dynamic blister was retained.  To cap the rebuild, the locomotive was renumbered to 2294 and redesignated as a GP9u.

ATSF 2294 continued work on Santa Fe's lines until the merger with Burlington Northern in 1995.  It was then renumbered to BNSF 1679 and worked odd jobs until it was officially retired in 2001.  At that point it was picked up by the Columbia Basin Railroad, operating in Central Washington.  The locomotive retained its old ATSF paint but had the large "Santa Fe" heralds painted over. 

2294 underwent a few changes through the years on CBRW.  An all-weather window was added on the engineer's side.  The horn was moved to the long hood and replaced with a Leslie RS-5T.  The A/C unit was removed.  In 2013 the four exhaust stacks were capped with large spark arrestors to help prevent fires (Central Washington gets extremely dry during the summer and destructive wildfires are commonplace).

I modeled the locomotive starting with an Athearn Genesis GP7u as a base.  I removed all the unneeded details and filled holes in the cab roof.  I removed all pilot detail, installed scale coupler pockets, cut out the recessed areas of the pilots, cut corner notches, and lengthened the lower plate on the pilots.  New cut levers were fabricated.  I removed and shortened the drop steps.  Etched steps were added on all four corners.  The incorrect handrails were removed and new ones were bent from wire, along with new stanchions.  The spark arrestors were added a new horn, antennas and piping.  Ditchlights were added front and rear.  Louvers were removed from and added to on multiple places on the long hood and cab sub base.  Sand lines were removed and new ones fabricated from brass and wire.  A waste retention tank was scratchbuilt and new fuel tank details were added.

The weathering was accomplished with mainly acrylics.  I did acrylic washes to change the color of the yellow where appropriate, and the blue where appropriate.  An airbrush was employed to create the large patches.  Oil washes created the grime in the door panels and seams.  The trucks and fuel tank were done with multiple washes of acrylics, with a touch of oils to create bright rust.  Powders were used to create soft areas of grime and dirt.  The model was sealed with Dullcote.  Finally I went back and used Future floor finish to add back some gloss to areas that had it on the prototype (nose, edges of long hood).  The model is controlled by Railpro, with full LED's on both ends, and a dual speaker sound system
main engineer rear quarter
yard front oerhead
main front cloudy
yard front shade
main side full cloudy
main yard overhad
engineer side dark
overhead rear yard
main conductor reverse
yard conductor side
main engineer rear cloudy
yard engineer side